- Hits: 687
The Baybridge Canal ran 3.5 miles (6 km) through two locks each with a 7 foot rise.
The canal was built entirely within the parish of West Grinstead in the English county of Sussex.
It was completed in 1826 using money raised from a £6000 share issue and from a £3000 mortgage.
The canal largely followed the course of the River Adur to the point where it could be considered an improvement of a river navigation rather than a canal.
The canal's main trade was manure, coal and chalk.
The canal closed 1 September 1875 due to competition from the railways haveing been little used after the opening of the railway from Shoreham to West Grinstead in 1861.