- Hits: 851
St Columb Canal sometimes referred to as Edyvean's Canal, description the same.
The canal was first proposed by the Cornish engineer, John Edyvean in 1773. His idea was to run a canal from Mawgan Porth through parishes inland and to return to Newquay. Its purpose was to import sea-sand, seaweed and stone for manuring to improve land.
Two sections were built. One, from Trenance Point at Mawgan Porth to Whitewater, and the other from Lusty Glaze to Rialton Barton near St Columb Minor.
Work started in 1773, but it was never completed.
At Lusty Glaze an inclined plane can be seen linking canal and sea. The canal was dug to Rialton at a height of 100 ft passing under the path from St Columb Minor to Penrose. Parts are clearly visible. A section from Mawgan Porth to Whitewater was used for three years. Failed attempts were made to complete it in 1829.
It was a 13 mile 'tub-boat' canal which used inclined planes instead of locks to change levels. It ran from the sea at Mawgan Porth inland to St Columb Major then back to the sea at St Columb Porth. Two lengths of 4.5 and 2 miles with inclined planes were built.