- Hits: 474
The Southwick Ship Canal or Southwick Canal is a canal in Southwick England that branches off from the estuary of the River Adur near Hove.
The canal is 1.75 miles in length, running east-weat and parallel with the shoreline, providing facilities to the port of Shoreham. It can accommodate craft with a draught of 15 feet, beam (width) of 40 feet and length of 240 feet.
A lock was first built here in 1850 on the site of the current dry dock and the canal was opened in 1855 to provide a tide-free docking area for ships.
The Prince George lock was opened in 1933 and the Prince Philip lock in 1958.