- Hits: 639
Sir Nigel Gresley's Canal was a 3-mile (4.8 km) private canal between Apedale and Newcastle-under-Lyme both in Staffordshire, England.
It was used to transport coal from Sir Nigel Gresley's mines.
It opened in 1776 after being approved by Act of Parliament in 1775. The act placed controls on the price at which coal transported via the canal to Newcastle could be sold for the following 42 years.
The canal was transferred to the ownership of Robert Edensor Heathcote in 1827. It closed around 1857.
The canal joined the Junction Canal at a mill in Cross Heath, a site now occupied by a motorbike shop in Swift House on the A34 Liverpool Road. It then ran northwest to Milehouse, Chesterton and the Apedale mines.