- Hits: 1143
The Limehouse Cut is a canal in the East End of London. Authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1766 (making it the oldest canal in London), it provides a short-cut from the River Thames at Limehouse Basin north-east to the River Lee Navigation, avoiding the tortuous curves of the lower reaches of the River Lee or Lea at Bow Creek.
The Cut joins the Lea at Bromley-by-Bow. Before 1968 the Cut enjoyed its own direct link to the Thames, but this exit lock was replaced when a short length of new canal was constructed to link the Cut with the Regent's Canal Dock, now known as Limehouse Basin.
Factories and warehouses line the Cut in the first few hundred metres from the Thames, but are serviced by roads now.
These days the canals are used for pleasure, both on and beside the water on the towpaths. Regent's Canal, Hertford Union Canal, River Lee Navigation and the Limehouse Cut form a square, for a distance of seven to eight miles which can be walked or cycled. These scenic towpaths cut across roads and railways in the area, providing a distinct viewpoint.
The Cut is administered by British Waterways.