- Hits: 3438
The Glan-y-wern Canal is a branch of the Tennant Canal which branches northwards near Crymlyn Burrows. It terminates at the Crymlyn Bog nature reserve, now a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
The canal was built to connect Richard Jenkins' colliery at Glan-y-wern with the River Neath at Trowman's Hole (or Red Jacket Pill), an inlet across the mud flats from the main channel of the river.
Jenkins obtained a lease to build it from Lord Vernon on 14 August 1788, but died on the same day.
Edward Elton took over management of the colliery, and the canal was constructed by 1790.
It remained in use for about 20 years.
Tennant incorporated the southern section into his Tennant Canal.
The northern branch over the Crymlyn Bog was derelict by 1918.