- Hits: 2560
Fletcher's Canal was a 1.5 mile long canal that connected the Wet Earth Colliery at Clifton, Greater Manchester to the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal, at a junction immediately south of Clifton Aqueduct.
The canal is no longer used.
The canal ran west, along the south bank of the River Irwell and through the area now known as Clifton Country Park.
Long sections of the canal are still evident west of Pilkington's Factory, although none of these sections hold water.
As the canal runs through Clifton Country Park, a path for walkers is maintained along the former towpath up to the end of the canal.
Some of the original features are still evident, albeit in extremely poor condition.
The canal is now completely overgrown and almost lost.
1752 to 1756: the engineer James Brindley devised a method of pumping water from the Wet Earth Colliery using power harnessed from the River Irwell via a water wheel.
Around 1790 to 1791: Matthew Fletcher began widening some of the original Brindley water channels to create a new canal, latterly known as Fletcher's Canal.
1799 – Benjamin Outram installed a second lock on the canal to avoid taking too much water.
1800 – The canal construction was completed and navigable.
1867 – the original Brindley water wheel was decommissioned and replaced with a water turbine.
1924 – the water turbine was replaced with a steam pump.
1929 – Wet Earth Colliery was closed down.
1952 – The canal was closed and abandoned.